Monday, November 27, 2017

So Many Things to be Thankful for

This transfer is already half way done.  The days are long; the weeks are short.  But then I think, "we went hiking just Monday?  It feels like forever ago."  Well here are just the highlights for this week:"

P-Day:  Well, yep, we went hiking.  I haven't hiked since I was in Wasilla and it was fun not to confined to just the cultural hall in the church.  We were rushing a little because we were a bit behind with laundry and emailing.  We did the fastest Walmart shopping ever.  We met up at the church to go hiking at Thunder Bird Falls which was my third time hiking this trial. But it is still beautiful every time and this time there was snow which made pictures a lot different. Afterwards we had planned on having a fire at one of the bishop’s house but we were a bit early so we played scatterball for a little bit. Then we drove to have s’mores around a campfire and played this game where two on a team would throw a frisbee to try to knock off a can on top of a pole. It is harder than it looks but a lot of fun. 
Facebook: We got Facebook this week during zone conference. Approaching Thursday we were to watch videos recorded as part of District 3 (film segments of missionaries in a different mission showing us what they are doing and applying the skills of missionary work). During zone conference we were trained on using Facebook by watching more videos and talking about what we will be doing. The time came for us to download FB and log in to our accounts. Some of us needed to figure out our passwords and try to change it if we couldn’t log in. We are limited to what we can do on Facebook and as of right now we are limited in time to use it too. We have 30 minutes Tuesday through Friday morning to do what we need to. Hopefully we will be allowed more time in the near future. We also got trained about the new Christmas initiative which is very similar to last year’s as they found a lot of success and positive results from it. We are thinking of different ways we can spread the world through FB and helping others to remember Christ this Christmas.  
Friendsgiving: We attended a youth activity where the youth invited their friends to a little Thanksgiving meal. At the end they played this game which was very similar to speed dating. The inside chairs would rotate down a person and the two people would answer a question about Thanksgiving traditions, people they are thankful for, and even favorite Thanksgiving foods. One of the adults sat across from Sister Johnson and said, “I’m excited; I haven’t been on a date in 20 years!” So funny. There were a lot of people there who aren’t members which was great. 
Sing for Fireside: Normally when people find out what I went to school for they usually want me to sing. This time one of the members we had dinner with said that some of the members are performing for a fireside on Sunday which was in 3 days from then and that the director was looking for a singer. I don’t usually like to sing in front of people songs that I don’t have down with lots of practice but I felt impressed that I should offer my talent. In this way it is more of a service and I feel better about performing for those types of situations. I went to the practice the next day and the director was so appreciative. Mind you I still have a cough from my sickness last week and at times the cough makes it seem like I’m dying. I prayed a lot and drank over 160 ounces of water on Sunday to prepare to sing. It was only because of the love of God that I made it through the entire 7-minute song without one cough or even a need to clear my throat! #blessed
Saturday: So many tender mercies (miracles to be thankful for). So long story short my mother sent me a birthday package in the mail and said it will be getting to Anchorage no later than 3pm on Saturday. Normally that would be fine and it would just be sent to me later but she said there were things in the package that needed to be refrigerated. That made things a little more complicated especially since the mission office isn’t open on Saturdays. Tender mercy is that Sister Johnson got permission to attend a baptism in Anchorage on Saturday so, after a lot of communication with Sister Jeppson in the office and the post office, we were able to pick it up and keep it in our cold car during the baptism. While we were there we went to take a picture in front of the temple and I was blessed to see some of the members from Soldotna who came up from the  3-hour drive to attend the temple on that day. What are the odds of me running into them?! Some other minor tender mercies happened which made the day pretty great.

Sent from ALASKA!
Sister Shelley Willden 

No comments:

Post a Comment